Over the past few years, the eLearning model of teaching has changed the way the mainstream approaches education.
Thanks to technology, people are no longer forced to dance to the old tunes of traditional education models. eLearning is a billion-dollar industry that will be worth almost $350 billion by 2025.
As a new method of learning, eLearning can be just as good as the traditional classroom learning method. While traditional education is still relevant today, online classes have been recommended for students who are independent and do not need the four walls of a classroom to provide them academic instructions.
The following are the 10 advantages of eLearning in teaching.
1. Accessibility: With eLearning,e accessibility of certain courses is improved. This means that people are not limited by geographical barriers. With eLearning, students who have psychological or physical constraints can learn whatever topics they are interested in online. Only a laptop and a decent internet connection required.
2. Mobility: One of the constraints of traditional education models is being forced to be in a class at a certain location and a specific time. With eLearning, mobility is enhanced for health and better understanding. You can take your online classes however you see fit.
3. Regularly updated course contents: Traditional education models usually use textbooks that contain content that may be irrelevant and outdated. With digital learning, you have access to updated materials with content that remains up to date and is extremely relevant. The eLearning model allows for materials to be updated easily. For many fast moving industries this is a plus. If you’re an instructor in this type of niche creating and selling your own course might be a very good move.
4. Budget-friendly: The lack of overhead is very important as it allows the school to cut costs and offer education to those on a lower budget. Therefore, it helps students cut costs for textbooks, transportation, and other expenses. This is where affordable marketplaces come into play such as Udemy which have a ton of courses in the $10-20 range and offer discounts constantly.
5. Individual style of learning: Each student has a unique style of learning. This need is rarely satisfied through traditional education models. Students can progress at their own pace. It also allows students to focus on subject areas where they are most likely to excel. So if you’re the smartest kid in the class, you will not get bored by waiting for everyone else to catch up.
6. Self-paced education model: I don’t know about you but I love to learn at my own pace and skip around if able to. Also the ability to do this from anywhere is just so convenient. Rather than being forced to be in physical classrooms at certain times, students get to set their lecture sessions. This helps minimise stress, increase happiness, and improve the learning outcomes of each student.
7. Qualified teachers: One of the biggest benefits of online education is for topics where you cannot find an expert in your own town or city. It allows you to learn from the best in the world no matter your location. Problem of finding qualified tutors and lecturers is solved. In traditional education models, qualified teachers may not be able to handle all students. Thereby creating shortages of professional academics. But with eLearning platforms, a single qualified teacher can create a single course session for thousands of students to access.
8. Customise your learning environment: Students who study in stressful conditions will end up having poor academic performance. This is what traditional education models force you to do. However, with eLearning, you have the power to customise your learning environment according to your wishes. If you focus best in a coffee shop or a library then you can do that. No one forces you to align with their environment.
9. Proper use of student data: Quizzes, completion rates, time on task and so many other factors can be tracked with the proper online software. This is beyond what you could ever accomplish in a traditional setting. It allows institutions to improve their learning delivery. All of the data available by the platforms can be analysed and used to help improve the learning outcomes for each course.
10. Better student engagement: When in the right setting and in the right state of mind a student will simply engage better. Schools can easily notice when students are losing focus through their performances. This way, the problem can be corrected easily.